Sunday, June 17, 2012

The Gift Giver...

It's Father's Day and naturally it brings to mind my Dad. He wasn't academically educated or well-traveled but that didn't make him a simple man. He supplemented his grade eight education by reading everything he could get his hands on and he was one of the smartest men I've ever known. Dad was like an encyclopedia and dictionary all bound into one. He was my go-to-guy if there was something I didn't know. 

Dad was like the internet to me before it existed. As much as he prized knowledge, I don't know what he would've thought of surfing the web and dallying in cyberspace. It might've tested his patience a bit. I know he wouldn't have liked the threat to his privacy. He preferred to keep things close to his chest.

Dad was a thoughtful man. Not just in the thinking sense; he was a magnificent gift giver. Sometimes the gifts were extravagant, other times they were just heartfelt. I have numerous pieces of jewelry he bought for me and for my Mom; lovely, glittery, expensive, baubles that were dimmed only by the happy sparkle in the eyes of the recipient. He never forgot an occasion and once when I was sitting on the living room floor engrossed in a television program, he dropped a silver pendant watch in my lap as he walked by. He really didn't need a reason to give you a gift. He just did it. I loved that about my Dad. 

One would think he was an avid shopper, but he wasn't. He had select stores he dealt with; Carnelli's Sporting Goods, Black's Hardware, Harv's Jewelry, Ed's Studio Craft, Parker's Furniture, and they catered to him. They knew he was looking for the best value at an honest price. Dad didn't mind spending a good dollar, but he wanted to know he got a good deal. When his hometown grew and his favorite shopping haunts gradually disappeared, he took to catalogue shopping. He enjoyed browsing the pages of Signals, Wireless, Hammacher Schlemmer, Barnes and Noble and even Coldwater Creek catalogues all from the comfort of his favorite chair. 

We all benefited from Dad's generous gift-giving. One item I treasure to this day is the celtic resin cross he bought me inscribed with The Lord's Prayer. But the most precious is a doorknocker he gave me when we moved into our first home in 2002. "Peace to All Who Enter Here" is the blessing it bestowed to all who came knocking. Sadly, I had to leave it behind when we moved last year. As much as I wanted to bring it with me, removing it would've left two gaping holes in the new owner's front door. The glass front door in our new home had no place for it. I hope it's a gift that continues to give to the new owners. I think Dad would like that.

My Dad and I didn't always see eye to eye. Ours was a complicated relationship. But that didn't mean we loved each other any less. It could be, that made us love each other even more.

Therein lies the best gift of all.


No comments:

Post a Comment